Re: Networking

Subject: Re: Networking
From: Matthew Dunaway (fert@eagle.ptialaska.net)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 10:26:00 AKST

Thanks George and everyone else. I think I know a little more about
networking now.

My next project will be after Christmas.
I am going to buy a new hard drive. Hopefully, a 60 gig or better. What I
want to do is to make a triple boot system. Partition the 60 gig into three
20 gig partitions. Put Windows XP or 98 (I need Windows for school), SuSE
8.1and Mandrake 9.0 Power Pack on the three separate partitions. I'll most
likely end up taking my computer and the 3 operatiing systems to a Friday
meeting and let you all help me install all three.
Does anybody have a triple-boot, or more, system??

Matt

Fielder George Dowding wrote:
Greetings Matthew, I have had ACS DSL for well over a year (about 18 months
Ithink). I have my Gnu/Debian/Linux box acting as the Internet server
(firewall, router). This set up requires two Ethernet interfaces in this
box.One (eth0 in my case) serves my LAN through a hub. The other (eth1)
connects to the DSL modem provided by ACS. I have both Linux/BSD and W98
boxen on the LAN. I also connect my laptop and the odd experimental box from
time to time to the hub. It works perfectly. I located the DSL modem at the
point where my telephone line entered my mobile home. I had to break the
inside telephone wiring at this point, but by doing this, the single filter
provided by ACS serves all the extensions I had installed. I did have to run
a long ethernet cable from the DSL modem to where my firewall/router is
located. If you need a long cable, you can buy a length from Frigid North
andput the connectors on yourself. Ask someone at the Friday night
laboratorysessions for help. I always have my compression tool (for RJ45 and
RJ11 connectors) and both flavors of connectors in my van. Cheerio! On Sun,
15 Dec 2002 12:05:18 -0800 Matthew Dunaway <fert@eagle.ptialaska.net>[1]
wrote: Hello, I am getting DSL next week. :-) My question is, I have SuSE
8.1Personal. My wife's computer has Windows 98SE Can I share DSL with both
operating systems? Or do I have to have Linux on both? I also have Mandrake
9.0 Power Pack, but it is not installed yet. I have a 20 gig hard drive, but
would like to get another drive (80 gig or better). Windows XP takes up more
than half of my 20 gig drive, and I don't want to remove SuSE, considering
ittook me a week to get it on the internet. My wife's computer only has a 4
gig drive, so a dual-boot is not an option at this point. Besides, I don't
think she is interested in learing Linux anyway. It took me 8 months or so
toteach her 98SE. (She had a stroke, so her memory is not what it used to
be.:-( ) Thanks Matt --------- To unsubscribe, send email to

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:fert@eagle.ptialaska.net
   2 mailto:aklug-request@aklug.org