Re: A question for the Perl programmers on the list

Subject: Re: A question for the Perl programmers on the list
From: Dan Wolf (dan-wolf@gci.net)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 20:07:06 AKST

Greg,
    You might try the O'reilly book "Algorithms with Perl" for a good
woorkup on cryptographic programs. The O'reilly book "Perl Cookbook" has a
couple of routines for generating passwords. MD5 is not technically an
encryption algorithm it is a Message Digest Algorithm ...... that is to say
it generates a unique 'FIXED' length output for a variable lenth input. In
use I would send a document of some length to Alice. In addition if I
Generated the MD5 digest for the document and sent it to Alice she would be
able to determine that the document had not been altered in any way. She
could calculate the MD5 digest for the document and compare it to the MD5
digest I sent and if they did not match she would know the document had in
some way been altered.
Dan