RE:Linux GUI Programming

Subject: RE:Linux GUI Programming
From: Neil Moomey (neilmoomey@gci.net)
Date: Sat Dec 07 2002 - 11:30:47 AKST

If you are developing new apps for a modern desktop then Java is your
best bet. The performance improvements in J2SE1.4 and the Swing GUI
toolkit are huge and with today's processors there is simply no reason
to use C/C++ for new GUI applications. I use JEdit which is larger than
any application you or I will probably ever write and it performs very
well plus I can use it at work or home . Java has the best error
handling, networking, and security features of any language and there
are several thousand books written on Java with lots of examples. You
can then use Java Web Start for two-click deployment on any platform.
On Sourceforge Java ranks in third place with 7,140 projects only
slightly behind C and C++ which has been around for many years. The
free Sun One Studio has drop and drag Swing support similar to Visual
Basic. If you haven't tried Java lately you will be pleasantly
surprised. If you had a tough time learning Java you will have a much
harder time learning C or C++.

Neil