Re: dule headed video

Subject: Re: dule headed video
From: Stanley Long (slong@customcpu.com)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 14:07:59 AKST

Greg Jetter wrote:

> anyone know of an information source for dule headed video cards that work
> with linux and a howto explaning how to get x windows to do dule monitors ?

        Yep ...

> Greg

Matrox G450 works just fine on this SuSE CAD workstation ever since
v6.??
The testing box which I haul to Friday Linux sessions has a G550.
Hopefully we will see how some older 20" monitors respond tomorrow.

SuSe's x-windows setup tool lets you configure the second monitor as
right-of, above, left-or, or below the primary. I turn xinerama OFF, so
they are almost totally separate displays, with differing screen
resolutions. Text highlight drag and drop works fine between the
separate screens.

Concerning the Matrox, the primary video output has greater bandwidth
than the secondary, so putting a cheap monitor as primary and a
big-screen as secondary doesn't always allow full use of the big screen.
This only bites me when the big screen is one of those old fixed
frequency jobs that doesn't like the initial boot screen output
frequencies.

I once did the video card/ monitor mode lines for XF86Config by hand,
but it was slow: GUI tools are quicker. Most of the distros should do
just as well.
No experience with other than Matrox dual head cards.
An AGP and a PCI can be used as a pair.

Feel free to call me, or come in on Friday.

Stanley Long
337-6161