Re: Afio

Subject: Re: Afio
From: Tom (thogland@alaskatech.org)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 19:33:56 AKST

> > Mike Tibor wrote:
> >Take a look at AMANDA too. ( http://www.amanda.org ) I use it here at the
> >Library and also at home, and I absolutely love it. I don't know if it
> >can be made to work with afio though. I use it with dump/restore.

> Jim Dory:
> Ok, I took a quik look at it and sifting through the backup book chapter
> that is linked from the webpage, looks like there could be a bit of
> learning curve there too. Would you consider it a program that a
> relative novice should attempt at configuring and using? Searching the
> mailing list archives didn't turn up much mention of afio so looks like
> a dump/restore would be needed.

As a novice that just worked on amanda, I'd say you're correct on the
learning curve. I installed the Debian package and couldn't get it working
at all; downloaded and compiled the source, went through all the man pages
and readme's (plus that chapter you mentioned) and got it to use one tape
of my Python 4-tape DAT changer. Trying to use the changer script kept
saying it was happy, but refused to actually do anything...

But, if you have a bit of time, it's quite nice... Now if I can just
figure out how to get chg-scsi to work, I'll be happy...