Re: WHOIS help

Subject: Re: WHOIS help
bryan@ak.net
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 23:38:27 AKST

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 03:12:27PM -0900, Mike Tibor <tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Mike Barsalou wrote:
>

> > I used to be able to use whois to find internic records....now that things
> > have changed, it doesn't always return info.
> >
> > Is there a better command to use?
>
> Do a search on Freshmeat--there are a bunch of whois programs out there.

I don't think the client itself is the issue. If I'm thinking of
the same thing Mike B. is, doing a whois query doesn't always return
useful information, like it used to.

NetSol queries sometimes return pages of legal mumbo-jumbo without
much at all about the actual domain name being asked about. I started
using whois.geektools.com a while back, which I think helped for a
while, but I've never found a reliable way to get the kind of
information that used to be easily available from a whois query.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net