RE: [aklug-ops] Trying to find something.

Subject: RE: [aklug-ops] Trying to find something.
bthundereagle@aidea.org
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 15:38:26 AKST

     Gaming under Linux isn't nearly looked into as much as its server side,
and typical desktop uses. The only game that I have ever heard of that was
officially released(ported) for Linux by their own company was "The Sims".
Other than that, there is a UT patch but I was never able to get it to run
properly.
     RedHat comes with wine on it now, I do not know what release from who but
it's a place to start. There has been a lot of success with it, but it's still
a young piece of Linux. For example I can run Quake3 perfectly on Redhat 7.3
with wine, create Lan games, and people running Windows can join and have no
problems. I can run StarCraft, but it doesn't resize the desktop, so I have a
little 640x480 screen in the top left of my desktop that StarCraft runs in.
However it cannot connect to battle.net and last I tried Lan games were out as
well. I can get Half-Life to start up, but the sound doesn't work and my mouse
buttons don't work. I can look with the mouse, just not use the buttons.
     Basically, there are ways to play those games you want to play, but the
support for a wide variety and all possible instances(hardware wise) is still
an issue. There are ported versions of games out there, but I couldn't tell you
how to find them...go to google, type in "<game> +port +linux" and see what you
get I guess. Talk to the gaming companies directly, and ask them if they have
and ported versions of your game. As one last note, the neat thing about wine
is that it is not made specifically for games. Its just like a windows
compatibility layer. Kinda like how windows runs dos programs in a VDM. Wine is
what I would call a VWM(Virtual Windows Machine). So you can run other
software, I have heard of success with software such as Adobe Photoshop 5.5,
and you can even run MS-Paint. Stupid...but fun.

     Brian ThunderEagle
     - bthundereagle@aidea.org
     - furbs@swjedi.net
     - http://www.swjedi.net