Re: Now what?

Subject: Re: Now what?
From: Jim Gribbin (jewelrysupplier@gci.net)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 17:48:49 AKST

Have you tried this? (from http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppcFAQ.php3)

10) I have a NewWorld machine, but it won't boot from the CD.

NewWorld Macs can be forced to boot from the CD by using a command in
Open Firmware. To boot into Open Firmware: restart the Mac while holding
down the Cmd-Opt-O-F keys; then enter the command "boot cd:\\yaboot" (or
CD:2,\\:tbxi or CD:2,\\yaboot); then press return. This is what it
looks like.

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/Install/pages/install6.php3

I can't tell from your post if you're unable to boot from the intall CD,
or if you can't complete the install because of this yaboot problem.

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 16:08, Jen and Britt Godwin wrote:
> Penguinppc.org writes:
> Distribution Packaging
> Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody) ships with a correctly built yaboot 1.3.6
> package.
>
> Mandrake GNU/Linux 8.2 ships an incomplete yaboot package with some
> packaging bugs, its recommended that you remove it and install yaboot
> from source.
>
> YellowDog GNU/Linux 2.2 ships with a correctly built yaboot 1.3.6
> package.
>
> SuSE GNU/Linux ships with an incomplete yaboot package, it is highly
> recommended that you remove it and install yaboot from source.
>
> So how does one go about installing a gnulinux package without being
> able to boot linux?
> Lost in the New World....

Jim Gribbin