Re: BSD vs. Linux and another rivalry.

Subject: Re: BSD vs. Linux and another rivalry.
From: Jacob Gemmell (evilbob@SDF.LONESTAR.ORG)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 11:35:44 AKST

Not having used Slackware specifically, the big thing I like and hate
about FreeBSD is ports. I like because there are so many and they are so
easy to use, but hate cause some are out of date.

I have also had a lot easier time installing FreeBSD on my Sony Vaio 505
than I have had with Linux. With out a "Sony" CDrom those things are a
pain in the ass to work with.

On a side note, I've always done network installs with freebsd rather than
CDROM installs. That way you get the latest updates and you don't wind up
downloading stuff you will never install.

Another thing I dislike about FreeBSD is the Kernel Configureation. The
Build process is easy, but I would like a more menuconfig type interface
to the kernel file.

--
evilbob@sdf.lonestar.org

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.