Re: Backup App

Subject: Re: Backup App
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 17:47:06 AKST

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Jon Reynolds wrote:

> Does anyone have a recommendation for a good free backup plan using a
> proven application, such as Bru, but free? Right now we are using
> retrospect but it doesn't run on a *nix box which is where all the files
> will be stored. I would like to not have to setup a second machine just
> to run the server side of this app.
>
> Any recommendations are appreciated,

If you have multiple Linux/Unix/BSD boxes and want a nice network based
client-server backup solution, then Amanda is definitely the ticket. On
the other hand, if you only have a single server and don't need lots of
bells and whistles, then you could just pick your preference of tar, cpio,
afio, or dump/restore. Personally I like dump/restore, but the others
work just fine as well. Tar has the portability advantage, but afio is a
little more tolerant of media problems.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax