Re: FTP Access

Subject: Re: FTP Access
From: Jon Reynolds (jonr@destar.net)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 01:00:27 AKST

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 23:53, James Zuelow wrote:

> On 28 Oct 2002 22:43:17 -0900
> "Jon Reynolds" <jonr@destar.net> wrote:
>

> > I will have probably just two people whom I know and trust that will
> > need access to my server. I want them to only have access to particular
> > folders and nothing else, so sftp doesn't sound like what I need.
>
> In this case, I'd say that sftp is perfect. The only issue is chrooting your users.
>
> Here's some reading for you, to get started. (Note: I've never done this myself, so I'll be reading along with you.)
>
> --link may wrap--
> http://chrootssh.sourceforge.net/docs/chrootedsftp.html
> --link may wrap--
>
> Anyone else on the list worked with chrooted sftp?
>
> Cheers,
>
> James

I am going to try and do what the website you gave me suggests. But in
the meantime I figured out how to make the ftpuser only see the
directory I want them to and not be able to traverse the filesystem.

What I did was make a new user and made their home directory the
directory I wanted them to have access to eg. /usr/local/www/website. I
also made a new group for the user. I then created the ftpchroot file in
the /etc directory by issueing this command:

'echo username > /etc/ftpchroot' then after that I issued the
'cat /etc/ftpchroot' what this does I'm not sure, I'm thinking it simply
lets you know that it actually put the user in there.

Now my new user can log in and only access their "home" directory and it
is seen as /.

Jon