RE: wysiwyg HTML editor

Subject: RE: wysiwyg HTML editor
From: Neil Moomey (neilmoomey@gci.net)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 12:59:07 AKST

I have looked hard for a WYSIWYG HTML Editor and the only one I've found
is IBM HP Builder. I used the 60 day trial for Linux and it then said
because it's in beta we will let you use this indefinitely. The FTP
program that came with it is much better than gFTP but it did expire. I
had numerous problems with HP Builder. It's great if you want to create
pages from scratch but if you have to open up code written with other
editors it will mess it up bad. It will turn good HTML into broken HTML
which will not display properly. Also, it runs on a modified verison of
Wine which was very slow. I had some latency problems just typing text
on a 1.47GH machine running RedHat. I have used Quant and Coffecup
which are not WYSISYG but each has their own problems. Coffecup has no
undo feature and cut and paste doesn't work well in Quant.

I found JEdit with the XML and HTML plug-ins installed to be the best
text editor for HTML. Cut and Paste works all the time and it has
autocomplete for </ tags as well as nested highlighting, ftp, VI
emulator plug-in etc. You can even make your own plug-ins in Java. The
editor runs fast on a 600MHz machine because it's written so well. Best
of all I can use the exact same editor on Windows or Linux.

The other problem with using Linux for web stuff is there is absolutely
no getting around testing your page on Windows with I.E. None of the
browsers follow the WC3 standards perfectly especially with Style Sheets
and JavaScript. It's not a perfect world.

Neil