Red Hat Install Freeze

Subject: Red Hat Install Freeze
From: Wes & Sarah Loomis (2loomis@arctic.net)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 22:30:49 AKDT

I'm having quite a time trying to install either Red Hat 8.0 or Mandrake
9.0 on my old system. I got interested in using Linux at a Community
School intro class taught by Greg. It was a great class, and now I'm
excited to use Linux. Bob Pelz also was helpful and encouraged me to post
on this list.

My system is a little unique and includes the following components:
Asus P3b-F Slot 1 P3 Motherboard
Promise Ultra ATA 100 Harddrive Controller
512 MB RAM
Soundblaster Live Soundcard
1 60 Gig IBM Deskstar (Master-Controller IDE1)
1 30 Gig Matrox (Slave-Controller IDE1)
1 13 Gig Matrox (Master-Controller IDE2)
TDK CDRW 241040B (master IDE2)
Creative DVD DXR3 (slave IDE2)

I have a bootable Red Hat CD from Greg and a bootable Mandrake CD from a
friend. I tried to install from CD. The opening GUI install screen
appears in both. In RedHat, I see the following: loading vmlinuz....,
hardware probe of the installed components. It's at this time that the
system freezes up completely, and there's no response from a
control-alt-f2,3,4, or even a control-alt-delete command. The final line
of text that the system hangs on is: "blk: queue cO2e836c, I/O limit
4095Mb (mask Oxffffffff)". That's it, then I have to do a hard boot.

I've tried a couple of things after some research.
-BIOS change of Plug and Play OS - I tried with this on and off
-at the boot: in RH, I tried using linux mediacheck, which resulted in the
same issue as above
-at the boot: in RH, I tried using linux noprobe which didn't work either.

My intuition says that it may be the controller card that is causing the
problem. It isn't listed in the supported hardware list on the RH site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Wes Loomis