RE: MP3 player that works with Linux

Subject: RE: MP3 player that works with Linux
From: Leif Sawyer (lsawyer@gci.com)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 10:10:20 AKDT

Mike Barsalou writes:
> My wife loves her Sony NW-walkman. Alas, we would like to move to
> Linux...anyone know of a good mp3 player like the NW-walkman?
>
> Thanks.

Mike,

I'm currently using the Archos Recorder 20, which is a 20-gig MP3
player. I also use the open-source firmware, RockBox, with it, which
has made a wonderful improvement.

I highly recommend this unit, for it's stability and versatility.
It also comes with USB 2.0, so transfer speeds are Firewire-fast.

There is one limitiation to using RockBox currently, and that is it does
not support recording -- however, ROLO (a bootloader) allows me to boot
into the stock firmware and record, then reboot back into RockBox for
playing!