Re: MP3 player that works with Linux

Subject: Re: MP3 player that works with Linux
From: Jacob Gemmell (evilbob@SDF.LONESTAR.ORG)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 09:13:14 AKDT

I like both the Diva MP3 Player and the Nex IIe from Frontier Labs. Both
use compact flash and both are non SMDI players And finally both show up
as SCSI hard drives under FreeBSD. They should show up the same in Linux,
provided you have the kernel support

I prefer my Nex IIe despite the fact that it is bigger and the battery
cover isn't well designed. Its got a nice jog dial and supports folders.
And the LCD display is great and good battery life. Note that there is no
internal memory. But CF prices are dropping. I picked up a 512 Meg card
from amazon for $200. It also supports IBM's microdrives for a whooping 1
GB of drive space.

The Diva can be bought with internal memory ( up to 224 MB) plus what ever
size compact flash you buy. However, I have found that music off large
capacity cards gets distorted. It is fixed by reseting the player, but
that getsannoyning after a while. no problem with the interna memory.
The LCD display is not very functional.

A bonus is both can be used as removable hard drives. The only limiting
factor on that is the usb speed.

www.frontierlabs.com
www.mydivapalyer.com

On 21 Oct 2002, AIDEA wrote:

> Date: 21 Oct 2002 19:52:16 -0800
> From: AIDEA <mbarsalou@aidea.org>
> To: aklug@aklug.org
> Subject: MP3 player that works with Linux
>

> My wife loves her Sony NW-walkman. Alas, we would like to move to
> Linux...anyone know of a good mp3 player like the NW-walkman?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mike

evilbob@sdf.lonestar.org

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.