Re: cd-rom issues

Subject: Re: cd-rom issues
From: Jon Reynolds (jonr@destar.net)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 13:35:10 AKDT

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 13:11, Locke Demosthenes wrote:

> I can't get my cdrom drive to mount! I tried "mount /dev/cdrom" and was
> told that there was no entry in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab.

Your close. :) you have to tell your system which device '/dev/cdrom'
and where to mount that device '/some/dir' usually '/mnt/cdrom'. If that
directory doesn't exist just create it with the 'mkdir' command. You can
also specify the filesystem type for your cdrom. So, the command you
would want to try is:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

the '-t' means which filesystem to use, the iso9660 is the filesystem to
use. the '/dev/cdrom' is the device and the '/mnt/cdrom' is where you
want to mount it.

After issuing this command cd into /mnt/cdrom and there is your cdrom.
If you don't have cdrom inside your /mnt directory create it.

Hope that helps,

Jon