Re: Setting up cygwin

Subject: Re: Setting up cygwin
bryan@ak.net
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 16:15:41 AKDT

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 02:01:47PM -0800, Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net> wrote:

> In plain English I want to put my noisy box in the other room and use a
> quiet box to use it somehow :)

If all you want to do is run apps on one *nix box and display them
on another *nix box with X, it's easy as pie. Start X on the box
in front of you, open up a term window, ssh or otherwise log into
the remote box, and run an X app. It will display in front of you.

You should be concerned about security when doing something like
this, and in fact I forgot one more step: host access control.
You need to give permission to the remote box to access your local
X server (without giving the whole world the same permission).
I think maybe ssh does this automatically. Not sure.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net