RE: Any Nexland router experience

Subject: RE: Any Nexland router experience
From: Leif Sawyer (lsawyer@gci.com)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 11:30:59 AKDT

Chris Hamilton writes:
> Hi all, I'm interested in getting a Nexland router. It will
> let me run 2 DSL lines through a singe router. This will be
> new to me and I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried this
> particular unit
>
> ftp://ftp.nexland.com/pub/media/ProAll_Manual.pdf

I don't have any hands-on experience with these, however I've dealt
with customer issues stemming from the use of these routers.

The first issue is that the IP stack on the router is pretty flakey.
One point is this: you are limited to a class-C (/24) block on your
LAN. If you exceed this (say, configure for a class-B (/16) it can
have "interesting" effects, like turning the router into a bridge.

Be _very_ carefull with these.

> Also, the 2 DSL lines are from different ISPs. Does anyone have any
> experience they would like to share regarding load balancing
> 2 different DSL lines from 2 different ISPs. 1 line is dhcp and the
> other is pppoe.

Hmm.. You won't be able to load share unless the NexLand supports
a "forced per-session" option, but you can use tricks with DNS to
round-robin your incoming requests. This will work somewhat like
loadsharing, but it won't actually load-balance.