Re: Samba Book

Subject: Re: Samba Book
From: Chris Hamilton (chris@digitalalaska.com)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 10:34:31 AKDT

Here's the O'Reilly book
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565924495/qid=1034360382/sr=2-1/ref=
sr_2_1/103-5961457-0244641

We gave a copy of this away at the IT Expo. Not sure if it is great or not.
Usually O'Reilly is pretty good.

This one covers Samba 2.0 though, the current Samba is 2.2 (Info hasn't
changed much). I've got 2 samba books (neither is the O'Reilly, and both
are for Samba 2.0) and they both contain identical information. I guess
there just aren't too many different ways to present information on Samba.
When it comes down to it there is really only 1 file that controls how Samba
behaves, on Red Hat and Mandrake it is /etc/samba/smb.conf

I'm sure there are a number of people on the list that could email you a
working smb.conf file, then you would just need to add the users, groups,
and change the workgroup name to get a basic server up and running.

Also, the Friday night guys are regular whiz kids when it comes to getting
servers up and running. Our last weekend meeting was great. We got a Samba
server up and running in about 3 minutes. Unfortunately getting the BIOS to
recognize the new 80 gig hard drive took about 2 hours ;) If you've got a
spare box to play around with try hauling it over to one of the Friday night
Linux meetings.

Chris.