Re: Media matters

Subject: Re: Media matters
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 13:46:18 AKDT

Mike-

I have experienced problems w/ media as well. My HP-RW 9600SE is a bit picky
about gold disks that were written by older machines. Even good quality kodak
gold disks. Silver disks work fine, as well as gold ones that have been burned
by the HP itself, or by my plextor. I think it is a combo of the reader, the
writer and the media.

Another issue is shelf life. Supposedly, better quality (=higher cost?) disks
last longer, so if one is using CDs as an archive for the long term, probably it
is best to go w/ a known good-quality disk. I use TDKs and have good luck so
far...

PQO

>During the process of installing RH 8.0 I was having some trouble getting
>things installed on some of the older machines that I was testing on. It
>seems that the CD-rom was unmounting itself during the install and other
>problems related to the CD. Initially I thought it was the downloaded ISO
>being corrupted....but a successful install on a newer machine told me
>otherwise.
>
>I decided to use a different CD medium to burn the image and low and behold
>my problems went away.
>
>The initial CD medium I burned to was a set of Office Depot CD-R's we had
>lying around. This failed when used on some of my older machines (older
>being 8x toshiba cd-rom drives)
>
>The second CD medium was an Imation disk that we had gotten. These disks
>had "1x-16x compatible" written on them. They seem to work just fine.
>
>I am not exactly what the differences are, but thought I would share the
>experience.
>
>Mike
>
>---------

   | |
   | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
   | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
   | University of Alaska Anchorage |
   | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
   | Anchorage, AK 99501 |
   | voice: (907) 264-7449 |