Media matters

Subject: Media matters
From: Mike Barsalou (mbarsalou@aidea.org)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 12:35:14 AKDT

During the process of installing RH 8.0 I was having some trouble getting
things installed on some of the older machines that I was testing on. It
seems that the CD-rom was unmounting itself during the install and other
problems related to the CD. Initially I thought it was the downloaded ISO
being corrupted....but a successful install on a newer machine told me
otherwise.

I decided to use a different CD medium to burn the image and low and behold
my problems went away.

The initial CD medium I burned to was a set of Office Depot CD-R's we had
lying around. This failed when used on some of my older machines (older
being 8x toshiba cd-rom drives)

The second CD medium was an Imation disk that we had gotten. These disks
had "1x-16x compatible" written on them. They seem to work just fine.

I am not exactly what the differences are, but thought I would share the
experience.

Mike