Re: Steve Gibson Research

Subject: Re: Steve Gibson Research
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 22:55:46 AKDT

Danke shoen, miner liber herr.

Now to rean the man pages and practice a good bit.

I have been wrestling with iptables (man pages, info pages, web
pages, und so weiter) to get the firewall right. I figure a chap
ought to understand enough about firewalls to put one together with
just the cli and vi(m). I do plan to use the IPCop boxen here at
home as well as at Mabel T. Success at either place, but especially
at Mabel T. will depend upon my understanding of the firewall
building process.

I have been trying "firestarter" to set up and monitor the firewall
on my box here at home. I have a DSL connection. The recommendation
for a DSL connection (eth0, or in my case eth1) did not work. I got
it set to do something on ppp0. I used grc to do the port scan with
wildly varing reports. Well, back to the problem at hand. fgd