Re: chmod woes

Subject: Re: chmod woes
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 07:28:56 AKDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Justin Dieters" <enderak@gci.net>
To: <aklug@aklug.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 12:02 AM
Subject: chmod woes

> Also, if someone could explain to me why I can't get into directories
if
> they aren't +x, and also what a 's' or 'S' in place of the 'x' means
> when doing a 'ls -l' I would be very interested to find out :)

looks like all of the questions have been answered except for 'S'.
Here's an excerpt from `info ls`:

    `s'
          If the setuid or setgid bit and the corresponding executable
          bit are both set.

    `S'
          If the setuid or setgid bit is set but the corresponding
          executable bit is not set.

So it would seem to me that you would not see `S' very often, as the
value of a setuid file that isn't executable isn't immediately apparent
to me. (I freely admit my ignorance though. Perhaps Linux won't run
without a few of these files around.)

Cheers,

James