chmod woes

Subject: chmod woes
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 00:02:18 AKDT

It seems to me that there should be a way to do a chmod recursively
through directories, but not change the directories themselves. If I do
something like 'chmod 660 * -R' it makes my directories not executable,
and I can no longer get into them without changing them +x again.

I am trying to do a two things here:

1. Change all the files in all subdirectories of a directory to 660
(rw-rw----), but leave the all directories +x so I can still get into them

2. Then change all the *.sh files in all subdirectories so they are +x

I would think that there would be an easy way to do this either with
grep or something, without going into something like a custom perl
script.. but I can't find anything helpful in the command reference
books and man pages I have here.

Also, if someone could explain to me why I can't get into directories if
they aren't +x, and also what a 's' or 'S' in place of the 'x' means
when doing a 'ls -l' I would be very interested to find out :)

Thanks,
Justin