RE: Help with tar to tape?

Subject: RE: Help with tar to tape?
From: James Zuelow (jamesz@ideafamilies.org)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 15:21:03 AKDT

FWIW, I would suggest using afio. Tar is great, but if you lose part of a
backup set you lose the whole thing. Afio backs up file by file, which is a
little safer. (At least in my experience tapes tend to generate bad spots
fairly often.) The syntax for afio is very similar to tar, and not hard to
pick up. I use afio in a shell script to mount samba shares and back up
Win9x boxes to tape.

Cheers,

James