Help with tar to tape?

Subject: Help with tar to tape?
From: Jim Dory (jdory@gci.net)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 14:12:04 AKDT

I'm trying to backup a server to a tape connected to the scsi port,
using tar. I'm just getting my feet wet with this, no previous
experience. I did a "ln -sf /dev/st0 /dev/tape" so I could remember.

For a test, here's what I did:
tar cf /dev/tape /etc

Then:
tar df /dev/tape

and the shell echoed what appears to be all the files but there was, for
each file something like this:

tar: etc/ptmp: Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

When I do:
tar -tvf /dev/tape it lists all the files, but now I have no confidence
because of above warnings. Anyone spot what I'm missing?

Cheers, JD