Re: Humor Ballmer: United, we'll stomp on Linux

Subject: Re: Humor Ballmer: United, we'll stomp on Linux
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 20:10:58 AKDT

Jim Gribbin wrote:
> Sounds to me like they're getting desperate.
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-1001-959165.html

I like the last paragraph the best..

-----
"We do not anticipate offering software on Linux," said Ballmer. "Nobody
pays for software on Linux." Even StarOffice, sold by Sun, was
originally a free product, he said. And IBM, arguably the No. 1 player
in the Linux market, promotes Linux to big users, but does not actually
sell Linux: "It's weird. IBM says 'Hey British Aerospace! Buy
Linux...from SuSE.'"
-----

I pay for software on Linux. I've spent more on Linux software than I
ever did for Windows software.. Why? Not because I have to, but because
it is a superior product. I have no problem spending money on software,
as long as it is a reasonable amount and I am getting something worth
paying for in the first place in return.

And, of course IBM doesn't sell Linux.. they are not a software company
(okay, maybe somewhat, but not OS's - not anymore), they are a hardware
company. Saying that it is weird that IBM tells companies to buy other
companies distrobutions is like saying that it is weird that Dell sells
computers with Windows preloaded - why doesn't Dell sell computers with
'Dell-OS'? Because it's not a software company!!

The rest of the article is also full of falsifications and is completely
laughable.

 From a Linux-zealot's perspective, Gates could not have chosen a better
successor than Ballmer.. :)

Justin