Re: Installfest feedback

Subject: Re: Installfest feedback
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 11:43:57 AKDT

A medium-sized install of RedHat 7.3 (2 GB of stuff or so) took about 2
hours on my PII 266 laptop with 64 MB ram off of a 24x CD-ROM, just to
install everything to the HD - and that doesn't count post-install
stuff, like device setup, installing Java, OpenOffice, Mozilla, etc.

Keep that in mind, that although Linux can be put on older machines,
time contraints may prevent it. Also, we don't want people to be
dissapointed when KDE 3 doesn't run very fast on their 486SX/25 with 16
meg ram ;) Even with the above mentioned laptop, I try stay at the
command line if I can help it, otherwise I spend 90% of my time waiting
for it to crunch on the swap file. (64 megs more ram would probably
alliviate(sp?) most of the problem though).

Justin