Re: dhcp timeout on boot

Subject: Re: dhcp timeout on boot
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 07:35:01 AKDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Justin Dieters" <enderak@gci.net>
To: <aklug@aklug.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2002 11:20 PM
Subject: dhcp timeout on boot

> Is there a way to set the dhcp timeout when loading a network device?
>
> When I don't have my laptop plugged in to the network and I boot up,
it
> sits there waiting for several minutes trying to get a DHCP server to
> give it it's info. Control-C doesn't cancel it, so I have to sit
there
> waiting for it (for what seems like an eternity :) )
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

It depends on which dhcp client you're using. Debian by default uses
dhclient, controlled in /etc/dhcp.conf. From man dhcp.conf:

       The timeout statement determines the amount of time that
       must pass between the time that the client begins to try
       to determine its address and the time that it decides that
       it's not going to be able to contact a server. By
       default, this timeout is sixty seconds.

Other distributions use pump as their default dhcp client. A quick
check of the pump manpage didn't say anything about a timeout, but I was
looking on a system that does not actually use dhcp, so pump might not
be fully installed. There is an /etc/pump.conf that does not have a
manpage on systems I can check.

Cheers,

James