Re: question

Subject: Re: question
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 12:04:48 AKDT

> I always figured that you had to run the same size memory in each slot..
> in other words you would need 3 - 256's or 3 = 512's. And can you mix
> types.. dimms and ddrs? Course I don't know much about it.. But curious
> if that's true or not.
> Cheers, JD

With the old SIMMS (486's and earlier, maybe some early pentiums?), this
is true, you need to install them in matching pairs. Nowadays it doesn't
matter how or where you put your memory (for the most part).

However, it's a well documented occurance that putting many sticks in
can make your computer unstable. In fact, many motherboard reviews and
comparisons I see now have this stat listed - max number of memory slots
and max number of slots reliably..

Even though your mobo has 3 slots, you may only be able to reliably use
two of them) I think this is mostly due to timing issues especially in
conjunction with AGP.. Using different brands/qualities of memory only
increases the chance of problems..

Justin