Re: IBM mwave modem on Thinkpad 600

Subject: Re: IBM mwave modem on Thinkpad 600
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 13:18:14 AKDT

I'm going to put up a page sometime soon about it. But for now, you can
find the various files I used at:

http://www.enderak.com/linux/thinkpad600/

Basically you want to configure the mwave drivers using './configure
--enable_mwavedd' to make the mwave.o driver while compiling everything
else when you do 'make && make install'. Make sure your /usr/src/linux
link points to your kernel source (in the case of RedHat 7.3 it's
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-3

Then you need to put mwaved into /etc/init.d and modify the assignments
at the beginning to match your hardware. I had to set it up to use
ttyS0, whereas all other examples I've seen use ttyS1. I don't know why
this is, but it hung me up for a long time. To start the modem drivers
and daemon, you need to run the mwaved script and if everything is
correct it will load everything up.

the ps2.exe.iso is a CD iso which is a bootable CD which contains a DOS
OS and the PS2.EXE file which is used to view and set various things on
the thinkpad - like IRQ's and IO addresses - very helpful :) If you
don't have a burner, there is a floppy disk version of the same thing
out there I can track down if you need it.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I will e-mail you when I have
the full page set up so you can take a look :)

Justin

P.S. I cc'd this to the list for the benefit of the archives..