Re: question

Subject: Re: question
From: civileme (civileme@civileme.net)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 05:23:09 AKDT

This may be a BIOS problem

Kernel 2.4 trusts the BIOS to hand it a map of memory and of bridge
devices, and some BIOSes adssume that there will never be more than a
certain amount of RAM and will map the Bridge devises above it
somewhere. I first saw this problem with a Dell inspiron 4000--once you
went past 192 Meg you would get bad brisge mapping errors unless you
used kernel 2.2 and told it how much memory you had.

Now it appears that the video windo is laboring under some assumptions.

Does the 512 chip work by itself? If so, what if you add ONE mem chip?

With memory at 1 Gig you may be exceeding the limits for which your
kernel has been compiled, too. There are several memory models
available for kernel compilation.

Civileme