question

Subject: question
From: FeLoNiouS MoNK (codered@gci.net)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 05:11:44 AKDT

hey heres a hardware question .. not specific to linux but i need the knowledge.. :

One of my boxes runs AMD Athalon XP 1700+ on a soyo dragon plus motherboard. Graphics card is a Xtasy Geforce 3 ti 500. well im runnin 512 megs of pc2100 ddr ram in 2 ports of 256 a piece.. well 2 days ago i noticed a 512 meg dimm for sale on base so i bought it... its pc2100 and all that good stuff.. but when i put it in the third ram bay it freaked out.. like i would be tryin to run unreal 2003 to test out the difference and the computer would freeze
so i change the order i put them in and nothing happened.. after exhaustin all the ram slots... i pulled it out and viola it worked again fine... come to find out i was gettin a graphics error.. sayin that the NViDIA card couldnt draw somthing... but my computer would shut off.. ALOT.. has anyone ever heard of such a thing? .. needless to say i removed the dimm and havnt put it in yet.. imma bout to take it back unless someone has a good answer for my problem.. thanx ahead of time...
                                        !FeLoNoLeF MoNKNoM!