RE: Cat 5 wiring

Subject: RE: Cat 5 wiring
From: stephen king (sking@chartercollege.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 12:15:34 AKDT

I've seen implementations of 10BaseT functioning properly with one wire =
per two drops. Wouldn't trust it to work at 100BaseT. Another thing =
you've gotta keep in mind, though, is that some systems (like Cisco's =
IPTelephony) expect to be able to use the other pairs for other things =
(like providing power to the end stations). Shortcutting the wiring =
would make it so that in the future you'd have to rewire in order to =
upgrade to those services.

Stephen