Re: FW: Changing the video card driver

Subject: Re: FW: Changing the video card driver
From: Eric Fortner (emf33@gci.net)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 19:44:30 AKDT

> I'm really, really new at this. So forgive my ignorance.

I don't think anyone stops being new at Linux!

> I just installed RedHat 7.3 for the first time on a compaq proliant 850R.
> I'm having problems with the video resolution. I'm getting sporadic yellow
> lines through the windows I have open. The driver listed in the Hardware
> browser shows Cirrus Logic GD543x....Compaq's documentation reads Cirrus
> Logic CL-GD54M30.

Tim I can't speak for the hardware your using, however RedHat comes with an
rpm that has to be installed named xconfiguratorXXX.rpm
you should be able to invoke it as such Xconfigurator and then you'll see options
you mat change for your hardware and scan lines for monitor

The other option is to have a look at the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and make
changes manualy in that file, but you have to know what excactly you need

> I guess I need the right driver, how do I go about finding such? Are
> drivers in rpm format? Also, I don't see an option to change the driver.
> I've been doing windows to long....I need some fresh air and new experience.
Most of the drivers are compiled directly into the kernel or built as modules,
found in the tree /lib/modules/2.4.18 or what ever you kernel is.
I am sure one of the RedHat Gurus will come along and post for you to help
a bit more than I have.

> My goal is to setup a web server that I can run from home for a home based
> business. Any guidance would be appreciated.

regards,

Eric