RE: Dotted quad address

Subject: RE: Dotted quad address
From: Leif Sawyer (lsawyer@gci.com)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 14:24:24 AKDT

minion writes:
> It's easy to get a domain name, what I was wondering what are the
> difficulties of getting a dotted quad address outside the
> ISP. I'm out here in the valley and MTA has given me fits on more
> than one occasion.
> So just wondering about another source for numeric address.

Well, you can _try_ going to ARIN, but the first thing they'll tell
you is to get address space from your providor.

If you do (somehow) manage to get space from ARIN, you'll still
need MTA to route that netblock to your router.

Not an impossible task, but probably more difficult than asking
MTA for another IP...