Re: kernel 2.4.18 with suse 8.0

Subject: Re: kernel 2.4.18 with suse 8.0
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Sat Aug 31 2002 - 14:01:53 AKDT

Well, here's what I've come up with.. My kernel panic seems to come up
when burning a CD and getting an error (i.e. a write error trying to
burn 16x-certified discs at 24x+) and the system freezes hard -
sometimes I get my capslocl and scrolllock leds blinking and sometimes I
don't...

I'm still not sure where the problem lies - with the kernel, ide-scsi
driver, cdrecord, or what. Everything seems to be fine in Mandrake
(also a 2.4.18 kernel) and when a write error occurs, it gets handled
fine and the system keeps running along happily.

I thought I also had problems when copying files from a CD to the HD,
but I haven't been able to reproduce it, so maybe I'm remembering wrong
(it was late.. :) ) or maybe it was an unrelated isolated incident..

Anyway, if anyone has any insights, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise, I
figured I'd share my findings with the list just as general infomation..

Thanks,
Justin