Need rules on srcs from the lists wisemen please.....

Subject: Need rules on srcs from the lists wisemen please.....
From: Eric Fortner (emf33@gci.net)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 16:56:43 AKDT

I have already in another post let it be known I am putting together a some
mutty type of small custom for me distro.......

My first question is this.......and before hand I know compiling as root is a BAD-

I am dabling in a pkgmk system from a distro called crux,arch,root linux.......

crux uses a ports system similar to bsd, it rules everything is brought down froma cvs and
checked against a .md5sum file and .footprint file.......I have tried to change perms from
root to user but on their cvs server it allocated root.root so no compile unless srcs
brought down by root and compiled by user in /tmp/$pkg-name

If files like these are controlled by strict guidelines then should it not be okay
to compile as root........I mean there is always the possibilty of a failed looksee or
something.........

What is the rule guys.......On my slack boxes I alwatys build as me, not root however when I run checksums
against the known software from the person who created everything is alright.....

On BSD are packes from the ports or make world built as user or root........

when can youo draw the line.......I am trying to be able to give myself somefreedom but not to much
on the other hand I don't want root doing some stuff that defeats the purpose all together.......

Just wanting some feedback here please.............

emf