Home built dist + security/pam questions

Subject: Home built dist + security/pam questions
From: Eric Fortner (emf33@gci.net)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 16:45:15 AKDT

Hello all

I am using mutt distros I am building and peicing together.........
I have ready for install a small base and opt distro but have many
questions for the weather proof been there done that crowd on this list:

1) modules such as pam make security better as I have read but also
keeping updated srcs does too......checking suid, guid, susauth access, etc.....
how important is running all of the programs from all of the distros?

I think paranoia can kill or break your system without having to be attacked by
any one person.............

Desktops are fairly easy if not easy to close down from the bios all the way to
absolute no root login but by su - .......

It is building my base for the server software that I am weary of........

Where is a good place or read to start, besides the basics from each distro,
I want some good hard core stuff on security and pros and cons of say like pam
versus data-base security logins..........

Can someone point me in some direction here or lend some material links
or what have you.......

Thanks
emf