Re: RE: Lost DNS config

Subject: Re: RE: Lost DNS config
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 16:38:26 AKDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Raynor" <asjr11@uaa.alaska.edu>
To: "James Zuelow" <jamesz@ideafamilies.org>
Cc: "Alaska LUG" <aklug@aklug.org>
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 12:46 PM

> I did this, I had to log in as root to be able to manipulate the file,
> but then after a reboot it went back to it's old ways, do you know
what
> is going on with that?

Err, no I don't. A quick Google shows nothing obvious. There are some
tools that could rewrite resolv.conf - the first thing that comes to
mind is that your NIC is getting its address via DHCP, and the DHCP
server is not providing nameserver information. However I do not have
RedHat 7.3 installed, and there are a huge number of packages that might
have been installed.

You can override whatever is editing the file however, until you find
the culprit. Edit (as root) /etc/resolv.conf to get it the way you want
it. Then make the file immutable like this:
chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
make sure you also do a `man chattr` to understand what that command
just did and how to undo it. :)

Then, I would go ahead and reboot the machine. Watch the boot messages
for an application that waits a minute or generates an error message
when it can't rewrite resolv.conf. Failing that, check root's mail for
an error report from the offending application. Hopefully whatever is
rewriting resolv.conf will complain about it, and we can go from there.

HTH

James