Re: a few questions.

Subject: Re: a few questions.
From: civileme (civileme@civileme.net)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 15:43:47 AKDT

James Raynor wrote:

>What do I do about anti virus and firewall software? Any suggestions?
>Also, I have a strange need to have things very neat on my desktop.
>The Gnome panel had a foot that is the start menu, along with some
>other quicklaunch items in the lower left hand corner. I can move the
>quicklaunch items around fine, but I cannot move the start icon, does
>anyone know what I am talking about? If so, please help me be neat.
>

>---------

Well there are less than 40 viruses for linux and all are laboratory
curiosiites. You can look on the web for Kaspersky Anti-Virus if you
want to check incoming email for windows machines, or something similar.
 For exploits, just keep your software updated (you do NOT have to
reboot to do that in most cases).

Firewall software is plentiful, and is either for your machine or for
standalone systems that border between your machine(s) and the internet.
 firestarter and InteractiveBastille are some for a single machine.
 Mandrake SNF and MNF are pretty well designed to make a border firewall
effort-free (configure everything from a browser on one of the local
machines).

The foot to be moved? That is most likely a source code operation. I
don't think you can move the "Start" button in Windows easily either.
 You might look at other desktops. KDE does allow easy movement of its
"K-gear" menu icon, and Xfce is highly configurable.

Civileme