Re: MTA listed as a SPAMMER by spamcop.net

Subject: Re: MTA listed as a SPAMMER by spamcop.net
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 09:36:23 AKDT

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:10:56 -0800
"Greg Jetter" <greg@lazymountain.com> wrote:
> so if your a customer and been having problems with bounce mail this may be
> your problem , take a look for yourself
>  http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?12.6.42.4
>
> the real funny part is MTA advertises protection from SPAM , maybe their
> protecting the public from themselves ... what a way to start off a wet
> rainny day.
>
> Greg

Yup. This is a recurring theme on the GCI support forums as well. I think what happens is that a cable/DSL customer sets up an open relay (hopefully inadvertently), and is using their ISP (MTA in this case) as a relay. Using the ISP as a relay is useful, as many mail servers black-hole any cable or DSL IP block they know of. If you take a peek at my headers you'll see that I do this as well after learning first hand about cable IP block black holes.

If the spammer finds a few open relays configured this way and uses them to bounce mail, then the ISP's mail server appears to be a huge source of spam and gets blacklisted. Nothing they can do short of telling customers that they cannot run their own mail servers. (I suppose they could require mandatory registration of servers and periodic checks for open relays, but that gets into customer relations territory.)

Cheers,

James