Re: burnproof vs. smart-burn

Subject: Re: burnproof vs. smart-burn
From: Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@woods.net)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 11:47:26 AKDT

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Justin Dieters wrote:

> I am looking at a CD-RW drive, and the one i'm looking at (a Lite-On
> 40x) says it has 'smart-burn', but I've only ever heard of 'burnproof'
> before, and I can't find much about it online other than it is similar,
> but different than burnproof..
>
> I know that eroaster (cdrecord frontend) has support for burnproof, but
> I haven't seen anything regarding smart-burn.
>
> Any opinions? Should I spend twice as much for a Plextor with Burnproof?
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

"BurnProof" is a particular trademarked method and hardware design for
pausing a burn on buffer underrun. Multiple vendors license this
tech.

On a different note, you are not paying twice as much for "BurnProof",
but a much better quality CDROM. PleXtor makes quality hardware, be
it IDE or SCSI they are king. For example, all plextor CDROMs dating
back to 6 speed units (excepts for a single 8X model) and *all* of
their burners have audio timing regen hardware built in. (CD-Audio
being a sector based format with no hard timecode jitter is hard to
overcome)

--
I route, therefore you are.