Re: NIC card blues

Subject: Re: NIC card blues
From: civileme (civileme@civileme.net)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 11:10:35 AKDT

stephen king wrote:

>Hey, folks, can't make it to the meeting tonight or you'd see me =
>dragging a server in by the cables...<grin>
>
>Problem: Got a RedHat 7.0 computer on which I'm trying to install a =
>(new) NetGear FA311 (PCI) NIC. Used the uncompiled driver file on the =
>floppy (had to change the include paths in the makefile); wouldn't =
>compile. Darn...went to their site and found a pre-compiled .o file; =
>put it into the /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net folder (I think that's =
>correct...going off memory here) and ran insmod on it...no workie; an =
>entire screen of bad symbol references. Darn...went back to their site =
>and found a set of instructions using the install -m command and =
>linuxconf; it was even almost written in English <grin>. Tried =
>that...still no workie, though at least I didn't get any error =
>messages--just no eth0. =20
>
>Also tried something they said elsewhere on their site...using the =
>"generic" rtl8139.o driver...but got the same screen full of bad symbol =
>references when I ran insmod on that. =20
>
>Everything else works fine. If I didn't want it to be a server I'd be =
>happy with it.... :-)
>
>Incidentally, I also tried a DLink card...pretty much the same set of =
>errors in compiling the driver, though their site has a whole lot less =
>support (which is a very sad statement, considering what was on...or =
>rather, not on...the NetGear site...even had a web form to send comments =
>that, for the Linux part, had big red text underneath to the effect of =
>"this won't actually be answered, as it is unsupported"...guess I =
>could'a filled out the form for fun, though).
>
>Seems like I'm missing something here. Anybody out there solved this =
>problem before? All comments, snide or otherwise, would be graciously =
>accepted.
>
>Stephen
>
>---------

Well the FA311 has a buggy driver even in current versions. Of course,
never expect a .o to work unless it is created in a compilation against
the respective kernel. But once more, the FA311 is good for nailing on
walls or Windows machines, not for any version of linux. Current
kernels will not shut down properly with a 311 and its driver in the system.

bad juju...

Civileme