NIC card blues

Subject: NIC card blues
From: stephen king (sking@chartercollege.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 07:19:28 AKDT

Hey, folks, can't make it to the meeting tonight or you'd see me =
dragging a server in by the cables...<grin>

Problem: Got a RedHat 7.0 computer on which I'm trying to install a =
(new) NetGear FA311 (PCI) NIC. Used the uncompiled driver file on the =
floppy (had to change the include paths in the makefile); wouldn't =
compile. Darn...went to their site and found a pre-compiled .o file; =
put it into the /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net folder (I think that's =
correct...going off memory here) and ran insmod on it...no workie; an =
entire screen of bad symbol references. Darn...went back to their site =
and found a set of instructions using the install -m command and =
linuxconf; it was even almost written in English <grin>. Tried =
that...still no workie, though at least I didn't get any error =
messages--just no eth0. =20

Also tried something they said elsewhere on their site...using the =
"generic" rtl8139.o driver...but got the same screen full of bad symbol =
references when I ran insmod on that. =20

Everything else works fine. If I didn't want it to be a server I'd be =
happy with it.... :-)

Incidentally, I also tried a DLink card...pretty much the same set of =
errors in compiling the driver, though their site has a whole lot less =
support (which is a very sad statement, considering what was on...or =
rather, not on...the NetGear site...even had a web form to send comments =
that, for the Linux part, had big red text underneath to the effect of =
"this won't actually be answered, as it is unsupported"...guess I =
could'a filled out the form for fun, though).

Seems like I'm missing something here. Anybody out there solved this =
problem before? All comments, snide or otherwise, would be graciously =
accepted.

Stephen