Re: sound in X and other X questions

Subject: Re: sound in X and other X questions
bryan@ak.net
Date: Fri Aug 09 2002 - 00:31:56 AKDT

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 04:27:00PM -0800, FeLoNiouS MoNK <codered@gci.net> wrote:
> hey all .. i just rebuilt my custom fBSD kernel this time and i
> added sound *yippee* ... it worked cause in shell i can play cd's
> .. but in X .. im trying to get XMMS workin and it just wont work
> .. it says couldnt open audio

If you have an audio cable connecting your CDROM drive to your
sound card, you can play CDs without your sound drivers being
configured properly. In fact, the sound doesn't even go through
the CPU.

I nothing about FreeBSD, but check your sound drivers to make
sure they are working. If you're suspicious of X apps (though
that shouldn't matter), use command line programs to test the
sound. In Linux, I would 'cat somefile >/dev/audio' just to
see if I get any output.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net