PPProblem

Subject: PPProblem
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 09:26:06 AKDT

 I have a ppp question.

 I have a dial-up account w/ UAA, whereby I dial into a model pool and start a
ppp connection. (I am using kppp, RH 7.0, but would guess this is a more low
level problem.) This method has worked for years w/o a hitch. Just within the
last month however, I have been unable to establish a ppp connection. After
logging in w/ username and password (which works OK, it is not apparently a
password problem) and typing 'c ppp' I get an error message in a kppp message
box something to the effect of :
  ppp deamon died unexpectedly.

In /var/log/messages I get the following :

  pppd[1423]: peer is not authorized to use remote address 137.229.98.66

Of course, the particular address varies with each login.

Nothing has changed on my end, so I suspect a problem at the other end, but I am
having trouble getting any help from the windoz-centric UAA helpdesk.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

PQO

   | |
   | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
   | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
   | University of Alaska Anchorage |
   | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
   | Anchorage, AK 99501 |
   | voice: (907) 264-7449 |