RE: mpeg storage requirements

Subject: RE: mpeg storage requirements
From: Leif Sawyer (lsawyer@gci.com)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 07:59:37 AKDT

Greg Jetter wrote:
> Does any one know the formula to compute file size of mpegs?
> That is to say if I had 1hr of mpegs how much storage space
> would it take ?

Unfortunately there is no easy answer.

It all depends on the bitrate that you encode at.

For Example:

Typically when archiving CD's to MP3s, I encode
at a variable bit-rate between 128K and 192K. This seems
to give me the best sound for the least disk space.

e.g., a 1:01 song "Pills & Smoke" by the Swingin Utters, encodes
to 3.2MiB at ~192K

I also encode for travel on my Archos Jukebox, so I can have my entire
collection with me. For that, I use 64K hard encoding. This also allows
me to throw them up on icecast pretty easily.

e.g., Harry Connick Jr.'s 1:00 "Follow the Music" encodes to 471KiB at 64K

I've heard the rough estimate of 1MiB/min for a 128K bitstream as well.

Leif