Re: Apache on Linux permissions

Subject: Re: Apache on Linux permissions
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 18:33:28 AKDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris" <cjavier@ideafamilies.org>
To: <slong@customcpu.com>
Cc: <aklug@aklug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 2:04 PM
Subject: Apache on Linux permissions

> Is there a place on the net I can go for full info on how to set up
another webdirectory on apache?

> This I'm sure is an easy one for those of you that use Apache. Please Help
X IIS user..

Chris,

    The httpd.conf file itself is full of comments and examples. If you
can't open it with Gnome, then just open a terminal and use less to view and
vi or pico to edit it. (Pico is easier to start off with.)

You should have the full Apache documentation on your server:

http://127.0.0.1/manual/, and a useful set of links should be at
http://127.0.0.1/manual/misc/tutorials.html

(Note: I am assuming that RedHat includes the Apache documentation with
their default Apache install. If they don't, just substitute the Juneau web
server's IP address for 127.0.0.1)

    I'm weak on IIS terminology, but if you want to set up a "virtual web"
like IIS does, you just need to create what Apache calls a "virtual host."
There are two kinds, IP based and name based. Name based are more common.
(for example, http://juneau-lug.org and http://zuelow.net are virtual hosts
on the same server.) It is very important to know that name based virtual
hosts will not work unless the host name is available in DNS (or a hosts
file). If you just type in the IP address of the server, you'll get
whichever virtual host is FIRST in httpd.conf. The httpd.conf default
httpd.conf file has an example of a virtual host, as well as some minor
documentation about how to set them up. Read the Apache documentation
(http://127.0.0.1/manual/vhosts/index.html) for more info.

HTH,

James