Re: Java

Subject: Re: Java
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 22:36:15 AKDT

Adam, here's what I do... just put make a link from /usr/bin/java to
<java path>/bin/java. I don't even worry about paths when dealing with
java, I just set up links, although maybe not the best solution, it's
10x easier, and I have yet to run into a problem with my solution..

For example, my links look like this:

java -> /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0/bin/java
javac -> /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0/bin/javac
javadoc -> /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0/bin/javadoc

You will only need the javac and javadoc links if you have the
development kit. There are a few other programs that you could make
links for, but to just run a java program, all you need is 'java'

-------

If you insist on setting up paths, check this doc out for help:
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Programming/linux/

Essentially what you need to do is put this at the end of your .bashrc
file (.bashrc is automatically executed at shell startup, so it will set
up your path every time):

export PATH=/usr/java/jdk1.3/bin:$PATH

Replacing the path with wherever your path would be. The :$PATH on the
end is very important, this appends the existing PATH onto the end of
the new PATH you are making, otherwise you will lose all your other
paths (/bin, /usr/bin, etc)

After you set up your .bashrc file, you can ust run 'bash' and it should
set everything up again, with your new paths.

If you just want to set it up temporarially, you can just type the
export stuff at the prompt, and it will be set until you logout.

Let me know how it goes..

Justin